This resource is designed to help you identify and understand different goal types and how climbers with different aims and objectives plan their climbing goals. When reviewing these goals, you could consider:
- What makes this a good goal?
- Is there anything missing from the goal?
- How could I make that goal a better one?
If you’d like to share your thoughts, sharing is caring. Leave a comment below.
To climb all the Diff routes at Stanage in a weekend
Improve climbing endurance by 5% in month 1, 10% in month 2, 20% in month 3.
- Measure my endurance using an industry standard tool/ method within 7 days
- Include at least 1 endurance climbing session per week
- Measure and record my endurance at every session on a spreadsheet
- Identify 3 key areas of development, using a climbing coach
- Access a coach once per month to improve in my key areas
To lead any 6c route at any wall without falling, in 6 months’ time
- Improve arm strength by 20% in 3 months
- Lead 6c with practice at my home wall, in month 3
- Lead 6b clean at my home wall by next month
- Identify my two areas most needing development within 2 weeks
- Plan a training schedule, in the next 7 days, incorporating 4 sessions per week and specifying my two areas for development
- Create a training plan that includes: pull ups, dead hangs, footwork, clipping, taking rests, core, open hand strength, finger strength
- Post on UKC & Womenclimb Find a Climbing Partner page to try and find a climbing buddy to join me in training: Action today
To confidently lead Tody’s Wall at Froggatt by July 2017
- Reduce anxiety levels to within the optimum zone prior to every trad climb
- Place gear that rates 3 or above out of 5 on 80% of placements
- Practise mindfulness for 5 minutes per day, 5 times per week
- Carry out pre-climb checks 100% of the time, according to my personal pre-climb checklist
- Identify my top 5 anxiety indicators when leading trad outdoors, by March 2017
- Use a visualisation technique for at least 5 minutes before every climb
- Speak to my climbing partner to explain my routine and what I want from them to help reduce my anxiety
- Place 2 pieces of additional gear on every trad route and ask the second to rate the gear placements as they climb out of 5
Remember, you’ve got great ideas. Leave a comment below to help others.