#TastyTuesday – Campfire Quesadillas
Why be content with a dry ham or egg sandwich, when you can have a quesadilla for the same effort? By buying flour tortillas (or corn ones for gluten free options) and adding a few ingredients, you can say goodbye to sad sandwiches and welcome to a mexican feast!
These are great to wrap up and take with you to the crag or as a quick pick-me-up after a busy day at work, to take to the climbing wall. You can get as creative as you like.
- One tortilla wrap per quesadilla or homemade flatbread if you have time
- Shredded chicken/ham/veggie alternative (red peppers work really well)
- Cheese or dairy-free alternative
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh herbs
- Take a sheet of tin foil slightly bigger than your tortilla
- Lay your tortilla on top
- In one half of the tortilla, place your filling/s and cheese
- Season with salt and pepper and herbs of your choice
- Fold each tortilla in half, then close the edges of the foil together to enclose the quesadillas and seal the edges.
- Place this directly onto hot coals or grill and turn over occasionally
- Allow them to cook for 5-6 minutes in total
Once the cheese has melted and the tortilla is crispy, that’s when these beauties are ready.
Sex it up...
There are so many ways to switch up a quesadilla to keep the flavours interesting and healthy. Here are my favourites:
Cheese – try something new like Emmental, gruyere or brie to mix things up
Sauces – BBQ, Chipotle, Ketchup
Guacamole – make your own or buy ready-made
Salsa – spicy, tomatoey goodness
Beans – add a tin of mixed beans to your salsa for a healthy protein hit
Toasted sweetcorn – sweet, crispy and soooo tasty
Seeds – sesame and pumpkin give a great bite and are super healthy
With these options you can get your full five a day into one snackette!
About the Author
Alice is a writer and filmmaker. She loves food and combines her work in TV with her passion for cooking in her food blog . An adventure seeker, insatiable eater, climbing addict.