#Tasty Tuesday – Winter Squash Soup
As we get closer to Christmas, those special days outside become a lot colder. A tupperware of sandwiches isn’t so appealing when it means taking off your gloves.
What better way to warm up and refuel than a nice flask of soup? Drinking this will defrost your fingers ready for that next send. Success guaranteed*.
Winter Squash Soup
Ingredients (4 people)
- 900g squash of your choice (I chose pumpkin), chopped into chunks
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped into 1/8ths through the root
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 clove of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tin borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven 220C.
- Combine the squash, onion, bay leaf and garlic in a large roasting tin with the oil. If it’s all piling up, use two trays so the veg can lie flat, otherwise it won’t cook so well. Pop it in the oven for 20 minutes, until soft.
- Sit back, relax, see what’s the latest on the Womenclimb website, pick your routes for your next day out. Dance around the kitchen.
- Once the timer has gone, remove the trays from the oven to cool. Transfer the veg to a large saucepan, taking care to remove the bay leaf and peel the garlic (don’t burn your fingers!).
- Add your chopped parsley and stock and use a stick blender to whizz everything together to a smooth soup. If you don’t have a stick blender, you can do this by putting everything into your food processor/blender/nutribullet. If it doesn’t all fit, you can do it in batches. Once smooth, just add it to the pan.
- Stir in your beans and season to taste. If you’re not going straight out, pour the soup into a box to store in the fridge or freezer until you need it. When you’re ready, read on.
- Turn on the hob and heat up to just boiling, before turning down to a simmer. Cover and leave for five minutes until heated through. Cue more dancing around the kitchen.
- Pour into your favourite flask and head for the hills!
The result ...
A tasty soup that will keep you from freezing to the rock: the perfect winter warmer!